Huge demand for dogs during COVID lockdowns has fuelled a rise in dog thefts in Devon.
With the cost of purchasing our beloved four legged friends increasing, criminals are on
the look out to make a quick and easy buck.
Peppe’s Paws has put together the following tips for you to protect your Dog.
1. Ensure that your dog is microchipped. In fact, it is a legal requirement to have your
dog microchipped by the age of eight weeks old.
2. Take regular photographs of you and your dog from different angles in the event
you need to prove ownership. Ensure you take a photograph of any distinctive
3. Never leave your dog unattended
4. If your dog is home along, leave the radio or TV on. If you leave your dog alone in
the evening, turn the lights on so it looks like someone is at home.
5. Vary your dog walking routes and the times that you walk your dog. Criminals tend
to target dogs by looking for daily walking routines.
6. Be wary of strangers who ask several questions about your dog.
7. Refrain from walking your dog at night time alone.
In the events that this awful experience happens to you act quickly by:
The Most Commonly Stolen Dog Breeds are:
1. French Bulldog
4. Staffordshire Bull Terrier
5. German Shepherd
6. Labrador Retriever
7. Springer Spaniel
8. Siberian Husky